An Upper Valley Shopping Guide
With the unofficial start to summer only days away, thousands of couples, groups, and families are finalizing their mid-summer vacation plans to New England’s Upper Valley. Nestled in a quiet neighborhood across the Connecticut River from Dartmouth College rests The Norwich Inn, a charming, historical trip back in time. The Norwich Inn is home to one of the best breweries in Vermont (Jasper Murdock Ales), a top-rated restaurant, and Victorian-style accommodations. If you’re looking for a leisurely summertime activity during your stay, we recommend spending a couple of hours shopping in Norwich VT and Hanover NH. The streets in these two historic cities feature an eclectic mix of shops, galleries, and farm stands. Hanover NH shopping, in particular, is a popular mid-day activity as the best stores are just a short walk from Dartmouth College.
Norwich VT Shopping
Let’s start our shopping tour right here in Norwich VT, the proud home of world-famous King Arthur Flour. Whether you’re searching for fresh produce or a gripping new novel, you’ll find a place to spend a couple of bucks in our lovely riverside community.
- King Arthur Flour – If you’re only planning on making one stop in the Upper Valley, we highly recommend choosing King Arthur Flour. We’ve collaborated with their excellent team for many events over the years. Browse through The Baker’s Store, enjoy a fresh-baked pastry, or join a hands-on baking class.
- The Norwich Bookstore – You’d be hardpressed to find another small, independently-owned bookstore that cares as much as about the written word then the folks at The Norwich Bookstore. Find out what to read next, discover rare signed copies, and take a seat during an author’s reading.
- Crossroad Farm Stand – Crossroad’s stand on Route 5 is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Many of our guests purchase bags full of fresh produce before returning home to Boston, Worcester, Springfield, and beyond.
- Pompanoosuc Mills – While technically not a part of the Norwich VT or Hanover NH shopping scene, “Pompy” is an excellent hand-crafted furniture destination north of town. Their woodworks have been turning heads since 1978.
Hanover NH Shopping
Some of the best stores in the region lie in downtown Hanover NH. In fact, Hanover NH shopping has become one of the top summertime activities among couples and groups. Here’s a short list of our favorite Hanover NH shopping destinations:
- Farmhouse Pottery – Book a “Clay Date” this summer, where you’ll have the rare opportunity to work alongside a master potter before crafting your own artisan souvenir.
- My Brigadeiro – Don’t forget to pick up some fresh-baked cookies, cupcakes, and Brazilian-style brigadeiros during your Upper Valley getaway. Enjoy these sweets in the comfort of your elegant suite.
- League of N.H. Craftsmen Gallery – Some of New England’s best potters, artists, and craftspeople display their award-winning work at this beautiful gallery along Lebanon Street.
There are myriad shops and attractions at Artisans Park in nearby Windsor VT. You’ll discover eight businesses in all, highlighted by Silo Distillery, Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company, and Simon Pearce. You can also stroll through a sculpture garden, savor a craft beer, and indulge in artisan eats. Artisans Park is a must-visit destination for those who enjoy hand-crafted, locally-sourced, and artisan products from talented craftspeople.
Historic Hotels near Hanover NH
The perfect way to cap off a full day of Hanover NH shopping is with fine dining, housemade craft ales, and sophisticated relaxation right here at The Norwich Inn. We’re one of the only hotels near Dartmouth College that provides specialized vacation packages for a variety of local events ranging from nano brewery festivals to 50k races. To book a well-deserved summertime escape to New England’s Upper Valley, please give us a call today at 1-802-649-1143.